SmartTimber 18 is a student awards program hosted by peak industry body Timber Queensland and sponsored by Hyne Timber.
Advances in manufacturing technology and products such as, light-weight timber framing, glulam and CLT have changed the way we are using timber in architectural and engineering practice. The aim of this Award is for you to show your understanding of contemporary building design with timber in an illustration and provide a brief paragraph describing the structure’s aesthetic and structural capability.
Entrants are asked to submit a poster for a project that should show an understanding of:
- Use of solid timber, including framing, Glulam or CLT
- Understanding of durability, structural and functional performance
- Understanding of compliance to standards and regulatory requirements
- Appropriate aesthetics for end use
The winner of the Award will be announced at Timber Queensland’s state conference ”Doing Timber Business in Queensland: Room to Grow” on 19 April 2018.
The entries that receive the highest final evaluations by the judges will be awarded:
- Winner – $1500 cash prize
- Runner Up – $500 cash prize
- Conference tickets – complimentary attendance at the Conference on 19 April (excludes conference dinner and does not include travel/accommodation) will be made available to five students who submit full and complete abstracts by Friday 2 March.
The awardees will be chosen by the sponsoring organisation Hyne Timber and will be notified in writing by Friday 23 March 2018.